The following flyer and e-mail was sent forwarded to us by the Boulder International Humanist Society
Save the date of Friday, February 13th to celebrate Charles Darwin’s 200th birthday (actually on February 12th) (see attachment for our flyer). Gary Marcus is a wonderful speaker and professor from New York University. He also has a good sense of humor.The Boulder International Humanist Institute’s success will be measured by the attendance at the event. If we can have a full house and good book signing and sales, we can encourage other compelling speakers in the future.Please support us in this event by attending and encouraging others to attend. You can run off the attached announcement on a color printer and show it to friends. You can refer them to our website to learn more about BIHI.We may be co-sponsoring an event in October to bring Richard Dawkins to Boulder and can use the fact that we attract a good audience to our events as an inducement to future speakers.Please consider buying Marcus’s book and having him sign it at the event so we can continue to have the Boulder book store as a co-sponsor of future events.The American Humanist Association and the Center for Inquiry are co-sponsoring this event and the editor of The Humanist magazine will be joining us and making a presentation.Thank you for your help in making this a successful event as you have spread the word for past events. If anyone wants to volunteer to help us on this or future events please reply.We have tried to reach out to a diverse audience and connect with various disciplines. We have had speakers in anthropology, psychology, law, journalism, philosophy, religious studies.
The purpose of BIHI is to educate the community about the benefit of policy making, ethics, and values from evidenced based dialogue. This contrasts with looking to blind faith, unexamined holy sources for our values. As a nation we have been victim of theocratic influences for the past eight years. There are think tanks, some legal scholars, and public interest groups that are distorting history by claiming we are a Christian nation and the Constitution’s prohibition of established religion only prohibits favoring one religion over another, but does not prohibit government favoring religion over non belief.Our principle message is that whatever one’s personal notion of religion or God may be, supernatural authority, God, and one’s faith should not trump evidenced based decisions about what best serves the public interest. Consequences matter more than commitment to political or economic ideology. As President Obama said: “The issue isn’t whether we should have more or less government, but what works.” Pragmatism in solving our severe crisis is what the best evidence indicates works to serve the public interest.Gordon Gamm
January 26, 2009 Posted by Metro State Atheists | Lecture, Metro State Atheists, News, Newsletter | BIHS, Books, Boulder, Boulder Colorado, Boulder International Humanist Society, Center For Inquiry, CFI, Colorado, Darwin Day, Events, Febuary 13th, Friday, Gary Marcus, god, Gordon Gamm, Guest Speaker, Humanist, Humanist Society, Lecture, Obama, October, Presentation, Richard Dawkins, The American Humanist Association | Leave a comment
Metro State Atheists is an affiliate of The Center for Inquiry (CFI), Secular Student Alliance and American Atheists; Which are not-for-profit organizations uniting freethinking, skeptic, secularist, atheist/agnostic, and humanist students and student organizations.
Our purposes are:
- To encourage freedom from superstition, irrationalism, and dogma;
- To further the acceptance and application of science, reason, and critical thinking in all areas of human endeavor;
- Advancing the public understanding and appreciation of science;
- To challenge misrepresentations of non-religious convictions and lifestyles;
- To create a campus community for freethinkers and skeptics.;
- To counter all forms of religious political extremism;
- To defend religious freedom, promote freedom of thought and inquiry concerning religious beliefs, creeds, dogmas, tenets, rituals, and practices, and, to advocate, labor for, and promote in all lawful ways the complete and absolute separation of state and church;
- To defend individual freedoms and civil liberties for all persons, regardless of race, sex, gender, class, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disability and Fighting racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, and heterosexism;
- To unite freethinkers, skeptics, and humanists and consolidate campus resources to engage in such social, educational, legal, and cultural activity as will be useful and beneficial to the members of Metro State Atheists and to society as a whole;
- Exposing pseudoscience;
- Investigating claims of the paranormal;
- Safeguarding the freedom of expression and opposing censorship;
- Defending academic freedom;
- Challenging academic fads and orthodoxy;
- Debating the philosophy of science, skepticism, and theism;
- Exploring secular and humanist ethics;
- To collect and disseminate information, data, and literature on all religions and promote a more thorough understanding of them, their origins, and their histories;
- To encourage the development and public acceptance of a humane ethical system stressing the mutual sympathy, understanding, and interdependence of all people and the corresponding responsibility of each individual in relation to society;
- To develop and propagate a social philosophy in which humankind is central and must itself be the source of strength, progress, and ideals for the well-being and happiness of humanity;
We are also a member of College Atheists of Colorado.
- громкие мелодии для телефона скачать energystas.com/gromkie-melodi… 1 month ago
- скачать темы на nokia 7230 energystas.com/skachat-temy-n… 1 month ago
- игры на русском android energystas.com/8473.html 1 month ago
- root android 3.2 1 energystas.com/p-16451.html 1 month ago
- карты для андроид гугл energystas.com/7584.html 1 month ago
Metro State Atheists Calendar
- Thecla: Oracle, Prophet, Feminist Figure- Thecla and radical feminism in early Christianity
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography and Gas Chromatography Coupling With Mass Spectrometry
- Are religious people schizophrenic?
- AN ATHEIST’S GUIDE TO BECOMING RELIGIOUS
- Should "In God We Trust" Remain On Our Money?
- About Us
- Materialism and Morality
- Adam And Eve...And Lilith