ELEVEN SECULAR COLORADO BILLBOARDS IN NOVEMBER
ELEVEN SECULAR COLORADO BILLBOARDS IN NOVEMBER.
For immediate release.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008.
Contact: Marvin Straus, 303-494-4926, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The billboard shown above began appearing at different locations across the United States in 2008. With the exception of the contact information at the bottom, all billboards have been identical to the one shown above.
The first one, produced by FreeThoughtAction appeared January 14th alongside the New Jersey Turnpike.
The second billboard appeared in Philadelphia on May 1st, 2008, sponsored by a coalition of several organizations.
The third billboard, sponsored by Margaret Downey, past president of the Atheist Alliance International, appeared in Los Angeles alongside the Santa Anna Freeway.
The fourth billboard, sponsored by Kansas City FreeThinkers, appeared in Kansas City on September 3rd, 2008.
So far, the groups report that the response has been overwhelmingly positive. One comment: “Bravo, billboards like these help non-theists feel less alone and less alienated.”
And now, The Colorado Coalition of Reason (COCORE) will sponsor 11 billboards, one in Colorado Springs, and ten in the Denver metropolitan area. We had also planned to have two of the eleven in Fort Collins and Greeley, but that area’s major media company, Next Media, refused to carry the message.
Jan Meshon, president of FreeThoughtAction provided the artwork for COCORE’s billboard.
Brett Kelly of CBS Outdoor will announce the exact location of the Colorado billboards, which will run for 4 weeks, on November 17th.
COCORE is an umbrella group consisting of 11 secular groups in Colorado. The project was sponsored by The Boulder Atheists and spearheaded by board member, Marvin Straus.
Straus says, “Our primary goals are to let other freethinkers know they are not alone and to provide them with contact information for secular groups in their area. These billboards across the nation complement the recent best-selling atheist books, billboards by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, the secular bus advertising in England, and the increasing percentage of non-religious citizens in our country. In a small way, they counter religious advertising that divides this nation between Christians and non-Christians. It is appropriate that COCORE’s billboards appear in November and December, when the wall that separates church and state is attacked in the name of Christmas.”
COCORE member groups:
Atheists and Freethinkers of Denver
Denver Atheists and Freethinkers
Freethinkers of Colorado Springs
Freethinkers of Northern Colorado
Humanist Action League
Humanists of Colorado
Metro State Atheists
Student Secular Alliance (of UC Boulder)
If your interested in making a contribution to the project you can visit the Boulder Atheists website.
November 11, 2008 - Posted by Metro State Atheists | Metro State Atheists, News, Newsletter, Press Release | 2008, Atheist Alliance International, Atheists and Freethinkers of Denver, Billboards, Boulder Heretics, Bret Kelly, CBS Outdoor, Christians, Christmas, Church and State, cocore, Colorado, Colorado Springs, Denver, Denver Atheists, England, Fort Collins, Freedom From Religion Foundation, Freethinkers of Northern Colorado, FreeThoughtAction, Greely, Humanist Action League, Humanists of Colorado, Jan Meshon, January 14th, Kansas City, Kansas City FreeThinkers, Los Angeles, Margaret Downey, Marvin Straus, May 1st, Metro State Atheists, New Jersey Turnpike, Next Media, November, November 11, Philadelphia on, Press Release, Santa Anna Freeway, Secular, September 3rd, Student Secular Alliance, The Boulder Atheists, The Colorado Coalition of Reason, Tuesday
5 Comments »
Metro State Atheists is an affiliate of The Center for Inquiry (CFI), Secular Student Alliance and American Atheists; Which are not-for-profit organizations uniting freethinking, skeptic, secularist, atheist/agnostic, and humanist students and student organizations.
Our purposes are:
- To encourage freedom from superstition, irrationalism, and dogma;
- To further the acceptance and application of science, reason, and critical thinking in all areas of human endeavor;
- Advancing the public understanding and appreciation of science;
- To challenge misrepresentations of non-religious convictions and lifestyles;
- To create a campus community for freethinkers and skeptics.;
- To counter all forms of religious political extremism;
- To defend religious freedom, promote freedom of thought and inquiry concerning religious beliefs, creeds, dogmas, tenets, rituals, and practices, and, to advocate, labor for, and promote in all lawful ways the complete and absolute separation of state and church;
- To defend individual freedoms and civil liberties for all persons, regardless of race, sex, gender, class, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disability and Fighting racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, and heterosexism;
- To unite freethinkers, skeptics, and humanists and consolidate campus resources to engage in such social, educational, legal, and cultural activity as will be useful and beneficial to the members of Metro State Atheists and to society as a whole;
- Exposing pseudoscience;
- Investigating claims of the paranormal;
- Safeguarding the freedom of expression and opposing censorship;
- Defending academic freedom;
- Challenging academic fads and orthodoxy;
- Debating the philosophy of science, skepticism, and theism;
- Exploring secular and humanist ethics;
- To collect and disseminate information, data, and literature on all religions and promote a more thorough understanding of them, their origins, and their histories;
- To encourage the development and public acceptance of a humane ethical system stressing the mutual sympathy, understanding, and interdependence of all people and the corresponding responsibility of each individual in relation to society;
- To develop and propagate a social philosophy in which humankind is central and must itself be the source of strength, progress, and ideals for the well-being and happiness of humanity;
We are also a member of College Atheists of Colorado.
- громкие мелодии для телефона скачать energystas.com/gromkie-melodi… 3 years ago
- скачать темы на nokia 7230 energystas.com/skachat-temy-n… 3 years ago
- игры на русском android energystas.com/8473.html 3 years ago
- root android 3.2 1 energystas.com/p-16451.html 3 years ago
- карты для андроид гугл energystas.com/7584.html 3 years ago
Metro State Atheists Calendar
Site infoMetro State Atheists
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.