I am a woman
bequeathed by ghostly ancestors,
amid the 22 million
through the cavernous,
Ellis Island halls
sweating human misery
They willed to me:
no stories, no customs, no heirlooms,
no words from the languages
of their births.
waves of fear fleeing hostility and bigotry
They willed to me
a handful of sepia-faded faces—
by the American dream of oblivion,
they requested their pasts be cremated
And so it was done, in honor of their
rendered in the melting pot—
skin worn to shoe leather.
Probed for labor fitness,
at Ellis Island,
Indentured servants for the fat old English Man that vouchsafed them,
for Northern Factories.
Scurrying to his Summons:
Kykes, Hymies, Shylocks, Krauts, Jerrys….
(At least Not Chinks, banned 1862)
One more group exploited
(And Not Japs, barred 1902)
Tote that barge,and lift that bale.
Bull-penned in Factory towns
Shilled in Factory stores,
before Northern Europeans only quotas 1924,
legislated, legalized more
discrimination, detention and deportation as the norm,
the very sentiments my grandparents
tried to bury before begetting progeny.
They’d all been lured by metaphors
of streets paved with gold,
Only to find beneath their feet
Not even wooden planks,
Just shovels, mud and jumbled stones
To learn that servitude
they be the ones to
I want to dredge up their ashes,
Festively gilding them to tie into my hair.
Ornaments and Amulets,
bearing witness to my origins.
But their inscrutable faces murmur,
Let dead relatives be.
They do not understand my need.
You are the last, they accuse,
as if my only worth lay
in the passing on of genes.
Soon enough, they sigh,
soon enough you will
a handful of dusty ashes
meaningful to no one
will ever know you were.
Buried in the Nothingness
They call America
December 22, 2008 - Posted by Metro State Atheists | Art, Poetry, The Trickster | America, American, Chincs, Dirty Immigrants, Eatern Europe, Ellis Island, Europe, Execution, Heritage, Immigrants, Immigration, Jews, Labor, Nothern Europe, Poem, Poetry, Riki Matthews, Slave, Slavery, Slaying Heritage, The American Dream, The Trickster, The Trickster Tells, Women
No comments yet.
Metro State Atheists is an affiliate of The Center for Inquiry (CFI), Secular Student Alliance and American Atheists; Which are not-for-profit organizations uniting freethinking, skeptic, secularist, atheist/agnostic, and humanist students and student organizations.
Our purposes are:
- To encourage freedom from superstition, irrationalism, and dogma;
- To further the acceptance and application of science, reason, and critical thinking in all areas of human endeavor;
- Advancing the public understanding and appreciation of science;
- To challenge misrepresentations of non-religious convictions and lifestyles;
- To create a campus community for freethinkers and skeptics.;
- To counter all forms of religious political extremism;
- To defend religious freedom, promote freedom of thought and inquiry concerning religious beliefs, creeds, dogmas, tenets, rituals, and practices, and, to advocate, labor for, and promote in all lawful ways the complete and absolute separation of state and church;
- To defend individual freedoms and civil liberties for all persons, regardless of race, sex, gender, class, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disability and Fighting racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, and heterosexism;
- To unite freethinkers, skeptics, and humanists and consolidate campus resources to engage in such social, educational, legal, and cultural activity as will be useful and beneficial to the members of Metro State Atheists and to society as a whole;
- Exposing pseudoscience;
- Investigating claims of the paranormal;
- Safeguarding the freedom of expression and opposing censorship;
- Defending academic freedom;
- Challenging academic fads and orthodoxy;
- Debating the philosophy of science, skepticism, and theism;
- Exploring secular and humanist ethics;
- To collect and disseminate information, data, and literature on all religions and promote a more thorough understanding of them, their origins, and their histories;
- To encourage the development and public acceptance of a humane ethical system stressing the mutual sympathy, understanding, and interdependence of all people and the corresponding responsibility of each individual in relation to society;
- To develop and propagate a social philosophy in which humankind is central and must itself be the source of strength, progress, and ideals for the well-being and happiness of humanity;
We are also a member of College Atheists of Colorado.
- громкие мелодии для телефона скачать energystas.com/gromkie-melodi… 3 years ago
- скачать темы на nokia 7230 energystas.com/skachat-temy-n… 3 years ago
- игры на русском android energystas.com/8473.html 3 years ago
- root android 3.2 1 energystas.com/p-16451.html 3 years ago
- карты для андроид гугл energystas.com/7584.html 3 years ago
Metro State Atheists Calendar
Site infoMetro State Atheists
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.