September 9, 2009 Posted by Metro State Atheists | atheism, Books, Censorship, Center For Inquiry, Events, Food Bank of the Rockies, Metro State Atheists, Poetry, Press Release, UCD Atheists | Food, Food Bank of the Rockies, Food for Freethough, Freethought, Metro State Atheists, UCD Atheists | 2 Comments
What is “Food for Freethought”?
Food for Freethought, inspired by the Center for Inquiry’s Campaign for Free Expression, is a food drive that also encourages freethought, freedom of expression, and free inquiry. We plan to accomplish this by giving “Banned” and Freethought books away in exchange for non-perishable food donations that will be going to Food Bank of the Rockies, during “Banned Books Week”, September 27 – October 2 (specific dates below). Our goal is to raise an enormous amount of food for those in need. Most food drives are done during the holidays and tons of food is raised and distributed. That is all well and good, but what about the majority of the time that it isn’t the holiday season? The hungry don’t stop being hungry after the holidays, they are hungry now too! Given the existing goals of Metro State Atheists, it is only natural that we would attempt to help the hungry by promoting freethought, freedom of expression, and free inquiry. With the proper support, we can have an immeasurable positive community impact!
The event will be taking place at the Auraria Campus (1201 5th St, Denver, CO 80204). September 28-30th, 9am-4pm (Times Subject to Change)
Metro State Atheists will have SIGNED COPIES available at Food For Freethought 2010 by the following authors:
Hemant Mehta , Daniel Dennett , James Randi, Michael Shermer, Dan Barker, and…RICHARD DAWKINS!. If you’d like to obtain any of these signed copies, donate food!
Largest donors receive signed books!
Metro State Atheists would like to formally thank the above and the following groups for their support:
How can I help?
Click here and check out the Food for Freethought 2009 wishlist. From there you can buy the books directly and they will be sent to us!
A special thanks to Tanya J. Higgins of Boulder, CO for setting this up.
If you have any of the books on the banned book list (http://banned-books.com/bblist.html) and would like to donate it to the cause, please email Joel Guttormson at email@example.com to set up pick up/delievery of your donation.
July 28, 2009 Posted by Metro State Atheists | Art, Astrology, Astronomy, atheism, Awards, Bacteriology, Bible, biology, Blurb, Books, Calculus, Censorship, Center For Inquiry, Charity, Chemistry, Christianity, Chromatography, creationism, Differential Equations, Epistemology, Events, evolution, First Century, god, Group Theory, Guest Bloggers, Humor, Interview, Jesus, Jesus Christ, Jesus is Lord, Language, Lecture, Mathematics, Medicine, Metro State Atheists, Microbiology, Morality, Movies, New Testament, News, Newsletter, Noah Mann-Engel, Old Testament, Organic Chemistry, Party, philosophy, Pictures, Poetry, Politics, Poll, Press Release, Pseudomedicine, Pseudoscience, Qoutes, religion, Resume, Rome, Sam Singleton, Sarah Schoonmaker, Satire, science, Scientology, Sirius, Skepticism, splendid elles, The Holy Bible, The Reed Secular Alliance, The Trickster, Troy Conrad, Uncategorized | ALA, America, atheism, Atheist, Atheist Evangelist, Atheists, Auraria Campus, Banned Books, Banned Books Week, Bible, biology, Center For Inquiry, Center for Inquiry On-Campus, Chalmer Wren, Chemistry, Christian, Christianity, Christians, cocore, Colorado, Comedy, creationism, daft, Denver, evolution, Faith, Food, Food Bank of the Rockies, food drive, Freethought, god, Humor, Jesus, Jesus Christ, Joel Guttormson, Lecture, Metro State Atheists, Metropolitan State College of Denver, Morality, MSA, MSCD, philosophy, Politics, religion, Sam Singleton, Sam Singleton Atheist Evangelist, Satire, science, Sept 26-Oct 3, The Trickster, theology, Victor J. Stenger, Victor Stenger | 10 Comments
Metro State Atheists is an affiliate of The Center for Inquiry (CFI), Secular Student Alliance and American Atheists; Which are not-for-profit organizations uniting freethinking, skeptic, secularist, atheist/agnostic, and humanist students and student organizations.
Our purposes are:
- To encourage freedom from superstition, irrationalism, and dogma;
- To further the acceptance and application of science, reason, and critical thinking in all areas of human endeavor;
- Advancing the public understanding and appreciation of science;
- To challenge misrepresentations of non-religious convictions and lifestyles;
- To create a campus community for freethinkers and skeptics.;
- To counter all forms of religious political extremism;
- To defend religious freedom, promote freedom of thought and inquiry concerning religious beliefs, creeds, dogmas, tenets, rituals, and practices, and, to advocate, labor for, and promote in all lawful ways the complete and absolute separation of state and church;
- To defend individual freedoms and civil liberties for all persons, regardless of race, sex, gender, class, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disability and Fighting racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, and heterosexism;
- To unite freethinkers, skeptics, and humanists and consolidate campus resources to engage in such social, educational, legal, and cultural activity as will be useful and beneficial to the members of Metro State Atheists and to society as a whole;
- Exposing pseudoscience;
- Investigating claims of the paranormal;
- Safeguarding the freedom of expression and opposing censorship;
- Defending academic freedom;
- Challenging academic fads and orthodoxy;
- Debating the philosophy of science, skepticism, and theism;
- Exploring secular and humanist ethics;
- To collect and disseminate information, data, and literature on all religions and promote a more thorough understanding of them, their origins, and their histories;
- To encourage the development and public acceptance of a humane ethical system stressing the mutual sympathy, understanding, and interdependence of all people and the corresponding responsibility of each individual in relation to society;
- To develop and propagate a social philosophy in which humankind is central and must itself be the source of strength, progress, and ideals for the well-being and happiness of humanity;
We are also a member of College Atheists of Colorado.
- громкие мелодии для телефона скачать energystas.com/gromkie-melodi… 2 years ago
- скачать темы на nokia 7230 energystas.com/skachat-temy-n… 2 years ago
- игры на русском android energystas.com/8473.html 2 years ago
- root android 3.2 1 energystas.com/p-16451.html 2 years ago
- карты для андроид гугл energystas.com/7584.html 2 years ago
Metro State Atheists Calendar
December 2016 M T W T F S S « Sep 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Site infoMetro State Atheists
Blog at WordPress.com.